Thursday 9 January 2014

A little story about me...

I've had a few blogs before, but none that I've ever started about myself, so here's a little about me and how I got to where I am now!

I grew up in a small village with an average population age of about 60, went to a tiny primary school with 12 in my year and from there to Cowbridge Comprehensive with a lot more in my year! I got all my GCSE's and went on to get 3 A Levels in Art, Maths and I.T before heading off to uni. 

I took a while deciding what I wanted to do with my life - even though a lot of people think the opposite considering I started my own business at 21! But I flitted in and out of Uni, starting with Architecture, then deciding I'd rather be in Hawaii (for 3 months), then re-starting in Fashion Design in Birmingham and swapping to Cardiff, only to drop out! I have to say, I wouldn't be where I am now without doing that and although I spent a ridiculous amount of money doing it, as far as I'm concerned it was completely worth it. 4 months at Glamorgan Uni tought me what I needed to know to start my business, I still look back at what I learnt there in that short time for just about everything I do now.

My business started as jewellery. When I dropped out of Uni, i started customising mens shirts in an amazing shop called Happy Days in Cowbridge. This is really where I developed a love for vintage - it didn't take long! I had my own sewing room there and spent a lot of time tucked away as I was going through a lot of stuff in my head. After that, I emerged with my first collection and photoshoot of some 100% recycled 50's style dresses.

I do lots with my business and I am constantly busy designing and creating! My dad (big Steve) is one of those people who just doesn't 'get' vintage. He's a very traditional man. He likes his routine, he loves IKEA and complains about just about everything. A true Brit. However, recently a friend of my parents was buying furniture and complained about how ugly something was and my dad replied with "Sophie will fix that. She can make anything look nice"

I love my dad and I love knowing he thinks that! 

On the other hand, there's my Mum. My business partner who 100% gets everything I do (ok maybe 95% gets it) and supports everything. She's a nagger (sorry mum) but it keeps me working and I truely appreciate everything she does. I'm ridiculously like my mum, I take on way too much work, whinge about it constantly, but I wouldn't have it any other way. 

I'm currently living at home (after spending a few months in a few different cities and countries) and I'm dieing to move back to Brighton where I spent just a few months studying Architecture.  I fell in love with the city, it's a combination of everything I love and I don't think I've been better suited to anywhere else. As soon as I moved it felt like home. Each dress I make gets me one step closer to heading back there :)

I write posts for my other blog - E&W - with the help of the wonderful Sarah who keeps up to date on ethical products and what I'm designing and doing. I also tweet and facebook for my 2 businesses and joined the wonderful world of instagram with mainly pictures of coffee, my dog and the obvious selfies of my different colored hair.

So that's me in a nutshell. I hope you enjoy what I plan to do with this blog! It's my adventure and my plans - something for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment